Whenever someone asks me “Mitch, what do I need to do to burn fat and get a six pack?” I know they’re looking for a simple answer, so that’s what I give them. I tell them to “Eat clean and workout regularly”.
When it boils down to fitness, that’s really all there is to it. It doesn’t have to be more complicated than that. But I know you landed on this page today for a more detailed explanation and are probably looking at this post with the same look of confusion people give me when I give them that answer.
So this page will highlight the top fat burning foods, as well as the top six pack diet strategies that are the most simple yet effective.
As always, I like to lay out the ground rule principles so we have a frame work. If you don’t understand these principles, you could end up on some yo-yo diet and never see the fat come off. However, once you master these principles, you’ll be able to move freely through your days without worry. You’ll completely free yourself from all the restraints that the modern diet industry has placed on us.
Ok, so here we go – the most effective six pack diet.
- Be in a caloric deficit. You don’t have to count calories to do this. Measure your food portions with your fist. That’s the size each portion of carbs and proteins should be on your plate. And this might sound crazy, but try to stay a little hungry. Your body naturally eats to its maintenance level. So if you’re a little hungry, that means your UNDEReating – which is good in this case.
- Eat high thermic effect foods. So foods like proteins and fibrous carbs like veggies are hard for your body to break down. Eating these will burn more energy. For this reason, you want to have protein with each meal.
- Eat 5-6 times a day. There’s some controversy on this and it’s not ABSOLUTELY mandatory, but study after study has shown a relationship between frequent eating and low body fat.
- Eat a variety of foods – within limits. Try and change your carb sources and protein sources up throughout the day. So for instance, don’t eat chicken all day long or bread or pasta all day long. Get some variety in there and eat like a normal person. Eat whole foods and not canned if possible.
- Never, and I repeat NEVER cut out a macronutrient. So for instance, no low-carb dieting, or low-protein, or low fat. You don’t need a technique like this until you’re very lean and trying to even lower. It’s perfectly possible for lose body fat while eating all your macronutrients. In fact, your body prefers it that way. I’ve done the low-carb thing before…and like any other diet, it’s not sustainable. Go with what you can maintain because ultimately, this is a lifestyle.
- Wean yourself off the evils. They include high fructose corn syrup, processed sugars, most dairy products, and everything fried. I know, I know..it’s hard in this society and I love donuts just as much as anyone (double evil – fried processed sugar!), but this stuff is literally toxic to your body. When you stop eating them, your body will thank you with higher energy, better looking skin, and less fat. The plus side is, once you get off them for a while, you won’t want them as bad anymore!
- Taper your carbs. Eat the majority of your carbs earlier in the day – say for your first 3 meals if you’re doing six. If you’re doing three meals a day, don’t eat any after lunch. This will ensure you’re burning those carbs in day and not storing them later when you’re not as active. As long as you’re in a caloric deficit, you’ll burn fat.
- Here’s the key point. YOU MUST STRENGTH TRAIN. By doing this, you’ll burn those carbs and leave your body needing energy. Also, by lifting weights, you’ll tell your body, “hey keep this muscle! Go burn the fat”. Now you see where the magic happens.
Now, I want to leave you with a sample meal plan. You can fix the portions to your needs.
Sample Meal Plan
Breakfast: Eggs, Oatmeal, Toast and Strawberries
Snack: Protein shake with fruit added
Lunch: Turkey sandwich
Snack: Chicken salad
Dinner: Ground Beef and mixed veggies
Snack: Cottage cheese and almonds
Following this six pack diet will leave you with ripped abs you never thought possible. Sorry it’s not overly complex, but I like to keep things simple.
Until next time,
P.S. Leave a comment below to let me know what your meals look like or if you have anything to add to the list above.